Ayurveda is one of the world’s oldest comprehensive (“whole-body”) healing systems. It originated in India around 3,000 years ago. It is an alternative medical system with historical roots in the Indian subcontinent.
Ayurveda follows the principles of natural healing systems; hence the treatment prescribed has zero or no side effects. It blends our modern lifestyle and health habits with the ancient wisdom of using herbs to help us lead a healthy and stress-free life.
What is Spleen?
The spleen is located in the upper far left quadrant of the abdomen, adjacent to the stomach and just beneath the diaphragm. The spleen has a very rich blood supply. It is surrounded by ribs that safeguard the spleen area. The size and shape of the spleen vary from person to person, but it’s usually fist-shaped.
According to Ayurveda, the spleen (together with the liver) is the source that conveys blood throughout the body also called the rakta vaha srotas. The spleen and liver make red blood cells in the womb.
The spleen serves a variety of functions in the body.
As part of the immune system, it works as a blood filter.
The spleen recycles old red blood cells while also storing platelets and white blood cells.
In addition, the spleen aids in the battle against microorganisms that cause pneumonia and meningitis.
What is Spleen Cancer?
Spleen cancer is also known as Plihodara (Plia – Spleen and Udra – abdomen), according to Ayurveda, is a disease in which abnormal cells multiply quickly and disrupt the organ’s normal functionality. Plihodara according to the Ayurveda is one among the eight types of Udra Roga i.e abdominal enlargement.
It normally occurs due to some other underlying disease. Hence, spleen cancer is very unusual as it doesn’t occur in the organ itself. In the majority of cases, the disease spreads from another part of the body to the spleen. Invading cancer generally occurs in the lymphatic system or leukaemias, which are blood cancers of the circulatory system. If left unnoticed, spleen cancer can become a serious threat to one’s health.
Causes of Spleen Cancer
Common causes of Spleen cancer or spleen enlargement are:
- Infections like:
Other viral infections
Cat scratch disease
2. Any liver-related disease
3. Cancers like Leukemia, Lymphoma, Hodgkin’s disease
Symptoms of Spleen Cancer or Plihodara
An individual with spleen cancer might experience the following symptoms:
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Reduced immunity for infection resistance
- Unjustified weight loss
- Fever and unnecessary sweat at night
- Pain in bones and joints
- Anaemia and fatigue
- Feeling full and eating less than usual
- Frequent bruising and discolouration of the skin
- Abdominal discomfort or pain
- Chest pressure, hiccupping and chronic coughing
A person with an enlarged spleen may feel pain or fullness in the left upper abdomen. This soreness might sometimes migrate to the left shoulder. Sometimes spleen cancer can sometimes result in a medical emergency. If you experience rapid heart rate night sweats, bluing lips and fingertips, and disorientation, contact your nearest hospital and seek immediate medical support.
Tests and Diagnosis
An enlarged spleen cannot be observed that easily. It is normally detected during a physical examination. A doctor can feel the enlargement by examining your upper left abdomen, right under the rib cage.
Blood tests, an X-ray, or other imaging investigations of the abdomen may be used to confirm the diagnosis. An ultrasound or computerized tomography (CT) scan can help your doctor figure out how big your spleen is and whether it’s expanding on other organs. Blood flow through the spleen can be tracked using Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI).
Depending on the situation of the patient, the doctor may recommend different blood tests or other diagnostics tests to identify the problem completely.
Ayurvedic Home Remedies for Spleen cancer
- Aloe Vera – When 2 tablespoons of the pulp of aloe vera are added with a pinch of turmeric powder and taken daily, it can help in healing spleen cancer.
- Achyranthes Aspera – Take the dried plant of Achyranthes Aspera and grind it into powder. Mix two tablespoons of this powder with beaten yoghurt and take it twice daily. The results will be really helpful in treating your spleen cancer
- Apple – Eat an apple on an empty stomach or can be consumed as fresh apple juice.
- Beetroot – Beetroot slices or grated beetroot should be taken as a salad.
- Drumstick – Take a drumstick tree and grind it into powder. Mix half tablespoon of drumstick tree powder with black pepper, impure carbonate of potash and honey and consume it daily
- Ginger – Eating 2-3 pieces of fresh ginger daily will surely help.
- Lemon Juice – Mix 10 gm lemon juice with 10 gm onion juice and consume daily in the morning.
Other useful home remedies are – Pomegranate juice, Papaya, Mango and Bitter gourd. Consumption of these fruits and vegetables on a daily basis can help with the fast healing of spleen cancer. Although medicines are important, a healthy diet can ensure fast recovery and maintain body balance.
Spleen cancer is a serious disease and if diagnosed on time can be healed. The age-old treatments of Ayurveda are very effective in treating spleen cancer. Always consult your physician or other health care professional before taking any medication or nutritional, herbal or homoeopathic supplement, beginning any diet, nutrition or fitness plan or adopting any treatment for a health problem. Good health is the best gift you can give to yourself. Eat healthy food, follow a healthy lifestyle, practise yoga and drink plenty of water.